This workshop looks at some of the practical aspects of developing a renewable energy project, including local energy planning methodologies, effective approaches to community engagement and potential funding/financing options, all within the context of the ongoing energy system changes.
The format is a mix of short presentations and interactive exercises designed to stimulate discussion, as well as the opportunity to engage with invited speakers from community groups sharing their own experiences of developing renewable energy projects.
Key Topics Covered
Local energy planning
An exploration of different types of local energy planning processes using case studies to highlight particularly effective activities as well as potential pitfalls
Community member involvement
A look at the main challenges to community engagement in terms of signing people up and the best approaches for both demonstration and real projects
How have partner organisations, particularly local authorities, worked with projects to contribute to the success of local energy planning and community engagement processes?
What types of organisational structure can projects use and what are the benefits and weaknesses of different incorporations?
Funding & Financing
How can groups fund community engagement, local energy planning and innovation projects?
Interested in finding out more about the programme?
Funding & Financing
- Climate Challenge Fund (currently closed for review)
- Community Shares Scotland
- Energy Redress Fund
- Ethex (Share Offer Platform)
- Impact Investing Institute - helping people invest in social enterprises
- Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund
- Local Energy Scotland CARES funding
- Low Carbon Infrastructure Transition Programme Funding
- National Lottery Funding Programnmes
- Ofgem's Electricity Network Innovation Competition
- Power to Change - starting a community business?
- Scottish Investment Bank's Energy Investment Fund
- SPEN Green Economy Fund